Adirondack Civilian Conservation Corps Camps
Adirondack Civilian Conservation Corps Camps: History, Memories & Legacy of the CCC
By Martin Podskoch
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public works program that operated from 1933 to 1942, as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelts New Deal. It targeted single men, 18-25 years, and veterans in relief of families who had difficulty finding jobs during the Great Depression. The program provided unskilled manual labor to environmental conservation and to development of natural resources in rural lands.
The US Army supervised the camps, which had 200 men each. The earliest camps were set up in these Adirondack towns & counties: Arietta & Speculator (Hamilton); Bolton Landing (Warren); Tahawus, Newcomb, Schroon River, & Port Henry (Essex); Wanakena & Benson Mines (St. Lawrence); Paul Smiths, Goldsmiths, Tupper Lake, Lake Placid, and Fish Creek Pond (Franklin). There were eventually 26 camps in the Adirondacks.