Adirondack Fire Towers
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, fires raged out of control in many of NYS vast wooded areas.
The years 1903 & 1908 were particularly disastrous, & because of public outcry for protection from the devastation, the state began a rigorous fire prevention and control program, including the building of fire towers. The first fire towers in the Adirondacks was estab. in 1909 on Mount Morris, Gore Mt., Snowy and Hamilton mountains.
The book contains information on the 28 state and three private towers in Herkimer, Warren, Washington, Saratoga, Lewis, Fulton, and Hamilton, counties. Marty Podskoch interviewed hundreds of tower observers, forest rangers, & families and has many old-time photos.
The new edition features a chapter devoted to the men and women who helped restore the Adirondack fire towers since Podskoch’s book was first published in 2003. The six restored towers are: Stillwater, Spruce, Adams, Hurricane, St. Regis, and Lyon mts.